Updating just web code on a SB800EX

Topics for the Eclipse Environment
jrj2211

Updating just web code on a SB800EX

Post by jrj2211 »

I have a SB800EX-JDDW-IR development kit and I'm wondering if there is a way to only update the web code on the device. Right now, every time we make a change to the web interface we build the project in NBEclipse and then use the update tool to send it to the device. This entire process is taking us 10 or more minutes for every change since it has to compile everything and then reboot. Since JavaScript and HTML doesn't need to be compiled nor does it need a system reboot we are looking for a faster way to develop our web interface.

I read in some of the documentation that there's a TFTP server running on these devices so I figured I could setup some bash scripts to copy the few web files over manually. The issue with that is TFTP doesn't support getting a file directory listing so I have no idea where the files should be copied to.

I'm curious if anyone has had success with uploading just the web code to an SB800EX or if theres a faster way of updating than how we currently are doing it.

Our last resort would be to host the files elsewhere and set it up so the web interface can either load data from the localhost or a given IP address but it would be nice to just run it on the actual board.
sulliwk06

Re: Updating just web code on a SB800EX

Post by sulliwk06 »

I don't know anything about the SB800EX, but on the MOD5441X I've used the SetNewGetHandler and SetNewPostHandler functions to serve web pages from the file system instead of the compiled image. With that I can just FTP the files on there and it will start using them.
Jon

Post by Jon »

This is definitely possible, and should be able to be done just as sulliwk06 said. There's actually an example located in <nburn_install>\examples\EFFS\Fat\Http that should help get you on your way. It goes over serving your pages from an SD card, as well as getting the FTP service started.

The "EFFS Programmers' Guide" also has some really helpful information, that can be found in <nburn_install>\docs\EFFS\EFFS-ProgrammersGuide.pdf.
jrj2211

Post by jrj2211 »

Okay thanks for the information, I see the section in the Programmers Guide to setup FTP so I will try that. I thought the SB800EX only supported TFTP so thats good to know.
pbreed

Post by pbreed »

Something is really wrong here....
The build and upload should not take 10 min.

I'd be astonished if it took more than 1 min unless your app is really large....
Usually this cycle is on the order of 30 seconds or less..... (It should be less than 15 sec, but the SB800 uses serial flash so the code load can sometimes take awhile)

How are you building your code... the eEXACT command please...

How are you uploading code to the board, the exact command/sequence please...