Eclipse Projects

Topics for the Eclipse Environment
SeeCwriter

Eclipse Projects

Post by SeeCwriter »

I have a MOD5441X project that uses SNMP. Some applications use the SNMP provided by Netburner. Other applications use DMH SNMPv3. Other than the 2 versions of SNMP, the source code is the same for both. But in order be able to build one or the other version I had to create two projects. One project builds a NB SNMP version, the other builds a DMH SNMPv3 version. The reason to do it that way is because, if I have the files associated with each version of SNMP in the same project directory, I get all kinds of compiler and linker errors. The difficulty this causes is that, whenever the application needs to be modified, I have edit both projects. And if the changes are extensive, it become tedious to update the other project, running Diff on each file.

There doesn't seem to be a way to configure Eclipse to compile or not compile certain files, or use or not use certain libraries. Is that a true statement?
sulliwk06

Re: Eclipse Projects

Post by sulliwk06 »

I stopped using NBEclipse some time ago because I found it very limiting. I think it's very good for getting small projects up and going fast, but for working on larger more complicated projects I need more careful control over everything. I compile using customized versions of Netburner's makefiles, and do my editing in SlickEdit which is a very flexible IDE.

As far as managing multiple projects that use most of the same code but need specific parts swapped out for each, I manage my code using Git repositories. I have my core code that is used by multiple projects in a sub-repository that is linked to the project repositories.

This has been working pretty well for me, but I am curious if anyone else has faced similar challenges and found other solutions.