My First Build Error

Topics for the Eclipse Environment
tpannone

My First Build Error

Post by tpannone »

I'm attempting to bring some existing Netburner projects up to date with the Eclipse IDE. Since these are existing projects, I followed the instructions in Chapter 6 of the Netburner Eclipse IDE Getting Started Guide. I created both the Workspace and Project without any issues.

At that point, the IDE attempts to automatically build my project. The CDT Build Console displays the following error.

**** Internal Builder is used for build ****
Build error
Generated resource conflict:
two resources of the same name: /BU_Node/Release/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.cdt.make.core/specs.o
generated by different tools
tool1: GNU C++ Compiler
tool2: GNU C Compiler

At that folder location there are two files, specs.c and specs.cpp. Obviously the IDE created these files.

Any suggestions of what caused or created the error? Also, besides asking questions on the forum, are there any references that explains error messages?
TomNB

Re: My First Build Error

Post by TomNB »

If you imported your source files, then eclipse would not have built any for you.
1. If you look at the directory you imported the files from, which specs file do you see?
2. What is in each of the specs files?
3. What version are you importing from?
tpannone

Post by tpannone »

It was not a true import. My source files already existed in a folder, so I created my project in "Locations Other Than the NBEclipse Workspace" in accordance the instructions in Chapter 6.

1. There were no spec files in my source directory. Once I created my project, the folders .metadata and .settings, and the files .cprojects and .projects appeared.
2. The two spec files referenced are empty.
3. I am importing from Dev-C++ 1.13.
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

Hello,

I checked with the tools people here, and they assured me there is no capability in NBEclipase to create spec.c and spec.cpp files. The resource conflict is likely due to having both of those in your project, or if you imported .o files instead of only .cpp files and html if you have any.

Can you confirm you only imported .cpp files and/or html files?

You definitely cannot import any DevCpp configuration or project files, only source code files

Also verify you created a NetBurner project, and not a C/C++ project

If none of the above solve the problem it might help to open a support ticket in your netburner support account and attach your source code as a .zip. Then someone can try the same steps to compare results. I have been doing this same import for many years on a daily basis, and have not had any file named "spec" appear.
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

Hello tpannone,

Were you able to do the import using only source files on a NetBurner project?
tpannone

Post by tpannone »

Sorry, I was out of the office this morning.

I did confirm that it was configured as a Netburner project and not a C++ project.

I thought I'd start over clean this afternoon. My source code files from my existing Dev-C++ project are in a new folder named BU_Node. The folder only contains .cpp, .hpp, and .htm files. (The entire path is C:\IEI\CM30SwathHC.V3\BU_Node)

Starting at page 27 in the Getting Started Guide, I make it as far as page 29. I give my project a name (which is different than the folder name), uncheck the "Use default location" box, and browse to the folder \BU_Node where my source code is located. When I click on the folder, the wizard gives me the error "C:\IEI\CM30SwathHC.V3\BU_Node overlaps the location of another project: 'BU_Node' ".

So now I'm back to the problem I had in an earlier thread.
tpannone

Post by tpannone »

And one additional question... do I create the workspace before I create the project or vice versa? In my case, there are multiple projects under \CM30SwathHC.V3, so it seem to me that would be my workspace.
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

Hi,

Lets try a quick test. Essentially follow section 4 for creating a project and importing a NetBurner example, but instead of the example, import your source files from C:\IEI\CM30SwathHC.V3\BU_Node

Create a new NetBurner empty project in the default workspace

Riight-click the project, select Import, browse/navigate to C:\IEI\CM30SwathHC.V3\BU_Node

Select your source files. I'm assuming the .cpp and .hpp are in C:\IEI\CM30SwathHC.V3\BU_Node, and the .htm files are in C:\IEI\CM30SwathHC.V3\BU_Node\html.

Does it behave any differently? If it does not work, which step in section 4 has a problem?
tpannone

Post by tpannone »

Okay, but before I can start where is the default workspace located again. In the Getting Started Guide, it is located at C:\Nburn\nbeclipse\workspace. I have no folder called "workspace" under C:\Nburn\nbsclipse. Do I manually create it?
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

Look for any folder called "workspace". Do you have \nburn\workspace?