Can't flash NetBurner MOD54415

Topics for the Eclipse Environment
resthor

Can't flash NetBurner MOD54415

Post by resthor »

I'm new here and having trouble communicating with MOD54415 using NBEclipse, MOD-DEV-70 development board. I tried running NBEclipse on both a Mac and Windows 7 machine (using 2.7.4 for OS X, and 2.7.5 for Windows). Initially, I could see the board over the network and the the factory app worked fine. I tried making a minor mod to the factory app by creating a new project and simply changing the LED pattern on the dev board in the webfuncs.cpp function. I got no indication that anything was downloaded to the board either using the Eclipse run configs or using a serial load via MTTTY. By-the-way, I have to run MTTTY on Windows because none of the PCtools (MTTTY, IPSetup,etc) run on the Mac version. I tried following the procedures for flashing the NetBurner MTTTY, but I don't see anything on the MTTTY monitor as described in any of the documentation. At the nb> prompt, I enter FLA and select the factory app original file with the _APP.s19 extension, and the screen shows a series of lines of characters, with each line ending in "Unrecognized Command". I don't see a series of "*" indicating the load is in progress. I also can't run the factory app anymore, none of the search functions to find the MOD54415 and its IP address can see the device. I fear I have turned the device into a brick by somehow corrupting its boot loader or something. I have noticed the other folks forum having problems flashing the device with the serial loader, but they all seem successful in the end using the MTTTY serial load process. Nothing works for me. Anyone have any tricks to get the flash loader to work? I have also tried using CoolTerm on the Mac (similar to MTTTY) with the same result, I know the serial connection is made via the USB/serial adapter because I can see and interact with the NetBurner menus on the screen. Just can't even restore the factory app, or anything else for that matter.
Thank you!
sblair

Re: Can't flash NetBurner MOD54415

Post by sblair »

The process is a bit different with the MOD5441x than it is with all the other modules for recovering.

Use MTTTY to hold it in boot with Shift+A as normal. Then use AutoUpdate to reflash the code. This module family has network upload when in boot mode so you should be able to discover the module while it sitting in boot using AutoUpdate and then reflash from there without having to do FLA and sending the file via serial.

Scott
resthor

Post by resthor »

Scott,
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, Autoupdate.exe hangs up and fails. However, I did manage to change the baud rate down to 57600 in MTTTY and on the MOD54415 and tried flashing the device again using FLA and this time I got all the proper indications that a download was in progress and it completed. So at least that is progress. I have seen a similar situation elsewhere on this forum that slowing the baud rate down helped. However, even though I supposedly downloaded the original factory app, which includes a web site demo to play with LEDs and switches on the dev board with a browser, the browser can't see the device, even though the browser was pointed at the IP address set by DHCP. Sigh........ The saga continues.
Thanks again for the help.
rnixon

Post by rnixon »

A likely cause is incorrect IP settings, which is why autoupdate did not work. Slowing the baud rate on the serial port is usually a sign of a USB to serial adapter issue.

What is the IP address, mask and gateway of both your computer and the netburner? If you have more than one network adapter in your computer, including wifi, list them all. If you can't ping or get to a web page then your probably on different subnets.
resthor

Post by resthor »

OK, I reset everything. Cycled power, jiggled cables, etc. and everything is back to operating! My re-flash of the MOD54415 with a slower baud rate was successful and I guess I did indeed have a problem with the IP addressing, although I'm not sure what exactly. I may have had a bad ethernet connection and reconnecting everything maybe fixed it. In any case, I'm back in business and I now know I can flash the device successfully and then see it.
Thank you all for your help. Great forum!

resthor