Eclipse Build doesn't always compile all files

Topics for the Eclipse Environment
SeeCwriter

Eclipse Build doesn't always compile all files

Post by SeeCwriter »

When I select "Build Project" from the menu, Eclipse does not always build the project. I can edit a file, save the file, then select "Build Project", and more often than not I get the message "Nothing to build". To be sure
everything gets compiled, I always have to select "Clean Project" first, then do a build. Is this a quirk of
Eclipse or is there a configuration I haven't set up properly. I have "Build Automatically" disabled because I
find it annoying.
sblair

Re: Eclipse Build doesn't always compile all files

Post by sblair »

Just to be clear. What is the file type you see this with? I've never had that issue with a .c, .cpp, or .h file but there are certain files it won't pick up such as .js files since they aren't compiled files but they still need to get picked up and included in the build so I just have to force it to do a clean build if I'm editing a non-gcc compiled file like that.
rnixon

Post by rnixon »

It does detect a change in my html files in the html directory as well as c, cpp and h files in the main project directory
sblair

Post by sblair »

It detects .html file changes since those are compiled. But if I'm only changing .js or graphics files in my html directory then I have to do a clean for it to pick them up.
SeeCwriter

Post by SeeCwriter »

The files are all C/C++ source files (.cpp, .h, .hpp), no html or javascript.
rnixon

Post by rnixon »

Somehow your setup must be different. As a test try a new project with one of the example programs. See if it behaves differently. If it does not, how is it different from your project? Additional folders, settings, etc.
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

SeeCwriter wrote:When I select "Build Project" from the menu, Eclipse does not always build the project. I can edit a file, save the file, then select "Build Project", and more often than not I get the message "Nothing to build". To be sure
everything gets compiled, I always have to select "Clean Project" first, then do a build. Is this a quirk of
Eclipse or is there a configuration I haven't set up properly. I have "Build Automatically" disabled because I
find it annoying.
I have not run in to this as you describe it. Are you sure your project is of type "NetBurner project" and not a c/c++ project?

Right click on the source in question and look at the properties. Is the checkbox to exclude enabled by chance? Does your properties page look something like my screenshot?
Attachments
file properties
file properties
fileproperties.png (77.7 KiB) Viewed 8221 times
Forrest Stanley
Project Engineer
NetBurner, Inc

NetBurner Learn Articles: http://www.netburner.com/learn