Network GDB for OSX

Topics for the Eclipse Environment
John.Ohl

Network GDB for OSX

Post by John.Ohl »

I was just curious if there were any plans or a timeline available on when network GDB would be included /w NBEclipse for OSX.

I was able to get it working by re-building the m68k-elf manually (it took me a lot of googling to find the a similar version as the windows one)... As you can see from the screenshot it works just fine. Although, I can't seem to get it to work /w the NBEclipse GUI - I couldn't locate the source java files for the NBEclipse plugins.

If anyone else is interested in how I got it working/compiled just let me know and I'll write out the instructions on it.
Attachments
Screen-Shot-2015-03-27-at-5.16.04-PM-(1).png
Screen-Shot-2015-03-27-at-5.16.04-PM-(1).png (700.02 KiB) Viewed 9468 times
pbreed

Re: Network GDB for OSX

Post by pbreed »

Elicpse based network debugging works out of the box with on OSX....

If this does not work for you with the OSX tools install open a support ticket... this has worked from the first day of our OSX tools release.
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

Welp,

Paul came in to ask about this and I gave him the wrong answer. You are correct, debugging is not in the OSX release. I'm not entirely sure why it's not in the OSX release, as the gdb build requires no modification to the source. Seeing that you have the command line working, I may be able to get the NBEclipse side of things working as well. It's friday at 5pm, so next week I'll get back to this post and see if we can get this feature working.

Forrest

pbreed wrote:Elicpse based network debugging works out of the box with on OSX....

If this does not work for you with the OSX tools install open a support ticket... this has worked from the first day of our OSX tools release.
Forrest Stanley
Project Engineer
NetBurner, Inc

NetBurner Learn Articles: http://www.netburner.com/learn
John.Ohl

Post by John.Ohl »

Fantastic! I can't express how awesome it'd be to have it! Would make debugging significantly easier!
John.Ohl

Post by John.Ohl »

Forrest,

Thought I'd take a moment to check in and see if you had a chance to take a look at it? Let me know if you guys need any help! ;-)
yibbidy

Post by yibbidy »

I'd also like to see GDB working for Mac OS X.

I also built GDB, version 7.5.1 which works fine too. I picked that version as it's the same for an existing Codesourcery Coldfire toolchain that I have on linux.

I was thinking of interfacing to it with DDD or Insight debuggers but it would be much better to have it working on Eclipse.

What is involved to make this work on Eclipse?

Regards, Shaun
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

I now have network debugging working on my macbook. Unfortunately, there are some software fixes to make this work, so it's not a matter of just changing some settings. These changes will be in the next release (2.7.4), which is looking to be 4-6 weeks out.

The next release will include gdb 7.9.1 on the osx release, and NBEclipse + GDB will work out of the box.
Forrest Stanley
Project Engineer
NetBurner, Inc

John.Ohl

Post by John.Ohl »

Any update on this? Doesn't appear to be working in 2.7.4 or 2.7.5.

Thanks!!
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

Hello,
The backend work is in place in 2.7.5. ie, if you have your own m68k-elf-gdb in the bin directory and you try to debug in NBEclipse, it should work.

I just tested 2.8.0 (new upcoming beta) and it works. In 2.8, gcc5.2 was built in to the release, and includes the OSX gdb version.
John.Ohl wrote:Any update on this? Doesn't appear to be working in 2.7.4 or 2.7.5.

Thanks!!
Forrest Stanley
Project Engineer
NetBurner, Inc