USB / MTTTY Issues w/ 2.6.3 Beta

Topics for the Eclipse Environment
Ridgeglider

USB / MTTTY Issues w/ 2.6.3 Beta

Post by Ridgeglider »

I ran into the following issues today while installing the NNDK 2.6.3 Beta. Before I ran the installer, I had used Add Remove Programs to remove the prior NNDK 2.6.2 (which was from that version's Beta), then did a full restart. Then, when doing the actual 2.6.3 Beta install (which I believe Forrest recommended for those of us working w/Nano??), I got the following error in a dialog box: "Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly. Error running C:\nburn/USBDriver/NburnUSBVCP_installer.exec : child killed: segmentation violation"

Next, not surprisingly, when attempting to run the new MTTTY Version 5 (which now shows some addl info regarding the various USB ports (nice!)), upon trying to connect I see an error: "Error 2: Create File. The system cannot find the file specified"

I can successfully run a previous version of MTTTY which is (very nicely!) now placed in a roll back folder for the earlier 2.6.2 install.

Of course the MTTTY icon from within the 2.6.3 environment fails too.

These darn USB drivers seem hard to include into the installers.

Finally, tried to do an install of the 2.6.3 USB driver; that failed too.
Forrest

Re: USB / MTTTY Issues w/ 2.6.3 Beta

Post by Forrest »

Strange..
Can you check to see if c:\nburn\usbdriver exists and contains the NburnUSBVCP_installer.exe file?
Forrest Stanley
Project Engineer
NetBurner, Inc

NetBurner Learn Articles: http://www.netburner.com/learn
Ridgeglider

Post by Ridgeglider »

Hi Forrest. The C:\nburn\rollbackBackupDirectory\C\nburn_2.6.2\USBDriver directory exists with the NburnUSBVCP_installer.exe. In addition the directory contains 3 files: nburnvcp.cat, nburnvcp.inf, and eetup.ini along with 2 directories: x64 and x86.
x64 directory contains silabenm.sys, silabser.sys, and WdfCoInstaller01007.dll.
x86 directory contains 3 files with the same names.

After MTTTY failed, I tried to run the USB installer, but nothing really seems to happen for awhile. After a few minutes I was surprised to see a message saying that the program did not properly install, did I want to reinstall with the recommended settings or assume it was correctly installed. I chose reinstall. However I never see the the typical, post-UDB-driver install dialog saying something to the effect that the NB USB driver is ready to use. I do hear the trumpet when I plug in the USB cable though

I have tried installing a few times, with long waits before trying to use, and as administrator. No differences... USB cable is unplugged during these attempts to install and then plugged in before running MTTTY V5. At least MTTTY V4.11 continues to work every time.

I am on a 64 bit machine w/64 bit Win 7.
rmartin7v

Post by rmartin7v »

I ran into this problem today. It turns out that MTTTY 5.0 does not seem to like COM ports greater than COM9, and my USB-to-Serial had acquired COM10. I was able to clean out old COM ports (from the same device plugged into different ports, as it happens) via these instructions: http://superuser.com/questions/408976/h ... rts-in-use

Once I cleaned up the old device entries and reinstalled my USB-to-Serial converter on COM4, I ceased getting the "Error 2: Create File. The system cannot find the file specified" on connection.

I don't know if this is your issue, but I hope it helps!