Install Rel22-RC2 on a Win7/64 bit but doesn't work

Topics for the Eclipse Environment
Forrest

Re: Install Rel22-RC2 on a Win7/64 bit but doesn't work

Post by Forrest »

caleb wrote:I am having the exact same problem as the original post, except with Rel22_rc3. This is on Win7, 64-bit
Windows 7 was released in 2009, JRE7 was 2011, the NNDK release you are using was released in 2008. This is an untested and unsupported relationship. Is there any reason why you cannot update to the latest NNDK release?
Forrest Stanley
Project Engineer
NetBurner, Inc

NetBurner Learn Articles: http://www.netburner.com/learn
caleb

Post by caleb »

Hrrmm... I personally don't know of any reason why we have not upgraded, but I don't have the full history either. My guess would be that we were under the "it's not broke, so don't fix it" policy, but now that it is broke, it may be time to update. Other potential ideas/questions:

1) Would we have to repurchase the software and licenses, or is it a free update?
2) Would we be able to get binary matches when rebuilding legacy code?

Thanks,
Caleb
dciliske

Post by dciliske »

You'll need to have an active support account (so, maybe repurchase), and no, you will not get binary matches, as the system libraries have changed significantly since then.

-Dan
Dan Ciliske
Project Engineer
Netburner, Inc
tod

Post by tod »

You can tell Eclipse exactly which JVM to use via the .ini file. In the case of NBEclipse the file is NBEclipse.ini. Here's an example of what you would add

Code: Select all

-vm C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0_25\bin\javaw.exe
I think this is much more convenient than messing around with the path variable. BTW, this is a copy and paste, note there are no quotes around the path.

The only issue I ever had with any version of Eclipse and Win7 was matching the bits. A 32 bit version of Eclipse requires a 32 bit version of the JVM (even when you're running on Win7/64 bit). Another advantage of the above method is that it's more obvious if you installed a 32 or 64 bit JVM based on the path (assuming you put 32 bit apps in the Program Files (x86) folder.

This little tidbit and oh so much more is explained in part 2 of my upcoming Pluralsight course on Eclipse (opening in a browser near you December 2013).
caleb

Post by caleb »

I could not find a file called "NBEclipse.ini" in my NBurn directory. There was a file called "config.ini" but that didn't look like the correct format such that I could put the "-vm" string anywhere (it contained strings that look like "osgi.bundles=blahblahblah")

We are just going to purchase some NNDK CD-ROM (current version) from the online store.
Ridgeglider

Post by Ridgeglider »

Should be in C:\nburn\NBEclipse
tod

Post by tod »

NBEclipse.ini has to live in the same folder as NBEclipse.exe (just like Eclipse.ini and Eclipse.exe). Find your NBEclipse.exe and you should find NBEclipse.ini. If not maybe in that old a version they didn't use an .ini file. You could always try creating one with a text editor.