BDM FLASH programming recommendation

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
nem

BDM FLASH programming recommendation

Post by nem »

I'm currently working on a replacement monitor for the MOD5234 for a university course requirement. I would like to reflash the Netburner monitor with a replacement but I won't attempt it until I have a BDM reprogramming solution in case it all goes horribly wrong. I don't want to go down the RMA route for reflashing the monitor.

Suggestions?
Chris Ruff

Re: BDM FLASH programming recommendation

Post by Chris Ruff »

I am a P&E micro fan

http://www.pemicro.com

for BDM programming solutions

Chris
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand
nem

Post by nem »

Thanks for your reply Chris,

The P & E stuff does look promising. However, it requires a 26 pin Berg connector for the BDM USB cable. The MOD5234 has no 26 pin BDM connector, only an "IMG" 26 pin header (holes only). I haven't found any info those pins.

Has anyone attempted to access those pins for BDM purposes after soldering on an appropriate connector?

Thanks.

Nancy.
Chris Ruff

Post by Chris Ruff »

I don't have a 5234 module here, but the 5282 has a 20, the 5272 has a 16, and the 5270 has what looks to be a standard 26 pin BDM connector.

The BDM doesn't need all of the 26 pins, which is why various modules have various pin counts. If you look at the schematic for the 5234 you should see the standard signals where they belong.

Generally speaking, if you build a cable you can burn any of the modules with P&E software.

You will need to study the 5234 memory map to learn where the monitor is and the first thing you would need to do is save the monitor image that is on your module so you can recover from the inevitable problems you will run into.

This is (can be) a very frustrating thing you have set out for yourself. If you actually get your own monitor working you will have learned a lot (and put in many days)!

I am assuming that you are not trying to run netburner compiled code with your monitor. That would be extremely difficult because you won't understand how the code is compressed, checksummed, etc. And it would also be a breach of the NB license.

Chris
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand
tony

Post by tony »

Axiom Manufacturing http://www.axman.com/?q=node/303 also makes a BDM for $99 dollars for the Coldfire products that will work with the free version of the CodeWarrior tools from Freescale (128K limit) http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/sit ... W-COLDFIRE. I have never tried this but if you can get it to work it should be a sufficient combination to flash a bootloader. If you try it out let us know how you make out.

Cheers,
Tony
nem

Post by nem »

Thanks for the info,

Unfortunately, the block diagrams that come with the Netburner NNDK/MOD5234 do not include that 26 pin port, only the 2 50 pin headers. They don't ship the true schematics that I would love to see. Hence my trolling for info on the success of others in using those pins on that module. The Mod5234 Hardware User’s Manual makes no mention of anything BDMish.

I'll definitely check out the AXIOM BDM cable though. I've used their MCORE boards in another course that I supported so I'm familiar with some of their stuff.

Nancy.