SBL2E automatically reestablish connection

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
phishguy

SBL2E automatically reestablish connection

Post by phishguy »

I am using the SBL2E with the VCP drivers. The problem I am having is that when the device is turned off and then back on, I don't gat any data from the SBL2E until I send data to it first. Is there some configuration setting I'm missing? This is also the case if I am connected without the VCP driver via TCP.
TomNB

Re: SBL2E automatically reestablish connection

Post by TomNB »

Data cannot be sent/received unless a connection is established, so my first guess would be that you don't crate a connection until you send data to it.
phishguy

Post by phishguy »

I would have thought that the VCP driver would automatically reestablish the connection. Is this not so?. If it isn't, this creates problems if my remote SBL2E devices has a power outage.
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

The issue is that in your configuration the SBL2e is a device waiting for an incoming connection. A virtual comm port driver is just that, a driver. It does not have the ability to open a tcp connection unless your serial PC application instructs it to do so. One thing about tcp is that if one side just goes away, such as with a power outage, there is no way for the other tcp host to know that unless data is in transit during the power outage and times out. So your serial PC program might want to request a status from the SBL2e periodically.

Note that in configurations in which the SBL2e is in device mode it will automatically establish a tcp connection to a tcp server on power-up or whenever serial data is available. This is just a note for completeness on this topic for anyone that might read it in the future, I understand that you are not running a tcp server.