PK70 EX NPT looping

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
tgarvin

PK70 EX NPT looping

Post by tgarvin »

Hey there.

Just purchased a PK70 EX NPT server as I need a local time source for my labs. In my initial config and testing, it appears that I've managed to muck up the NIC. I successfully used the IPSetup V2.5 to configure the static IP for my initial testing. The second stage was to move it into one of my labs, and to reset the NIC back to DHCP. The web console was unsuccessful in changing the NIC back to DHCP. So, back to the IPSetup I go, blank out all the fields, and apply it. The port is now looping in a 2 to 3 second cycle of showing a link, and then dropping completely, and then repeating.

As the port is unstable and in a never ending state of disconnect, I can no longer connect to the server

Is there a method of forcing a reset to default on the server?

Thanks for any insight.
TomNB

Re: PK70 EX NPT looping

Post by TomNB »

Hello Terry,

Are you saying that both LEDs on the Ethernet jack are cycling on/off? Are you using the NetBurner power supply that came with the device? It sounds like the device is trying to start up, but may not be getting enough power.
tgarvin

Post by tgarvin »

Hello Tom.
Thanks for the quick response.
Yes, I am using the NetBurner power supply.
The power LED comes on green and is steady.
The NIC Link light cycles on, is steady for > 1 second, rapidly flashes for about 1 second, and shuts down.
The Speed light will come on for about half of the link attempts, then shuts down at the same time as the link light.
The NTP status indicators do not light at all.

I have not put a meter on the power supply to check the output. :-(
tgarvin

Post by tgarvin »

Meter shows a steady 9.4 v output from the power supply.
tgarvin

Post by tgarvin »

Hey there. Is there an answer to the question? "Is there a method of forcing a reset to default on the server?"
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

What type of network device are you connecting to? Wondering if it is some type of managed switch that is manually configured to some type of mode and not allowing auto-negotiation. Cisco managed switches are notorious for this. Do you have a simple off the shelf switch you can connect to?

The only way to reset is through the web page, so the network has to be working.
tgarvin

Post by tgarvin »

The behavior happens regardless of the device we're connecting through. I've tried Meraki layer 2 and 3, Multiple Dlink L2's and direct with a cross-over. The Dlinks are unmanaged.

The link is to a 16 sec video of the NICs behavior.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/whyELSdxS91rJsMt8
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

I have not seen this type of behavior before on any of our devices, so I'm not quite sure what to try next. Everything you mention are managed switches, so I can't be certain how they are configured. When you say cross-over, do you mean directly to a PC Ethernet port? In that case do the LEDs behave the same way? Using a cross over on a PC may be an issue since the device is set up for DHCP by default, and you would not have a DHCP server available on a direct link. Can you check the network configuration on your PC to verify it is set to auto-negotiate?
tgarvin

Post by tgarvin »

Hey, Tom.

The Meraki are managed and part of my core. The Dlink and NetGear switches are dumb as a stump and are not managed.

My laptops and workstations are all set to auto-negotiate. If a DHCP server is not available, they auto assign in the APIPA range. Your device also made use of the APIPA, on a cross-over, when I first got it.

Is there anyway to get into the chip-set and doing a reset using the serial port?
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

If you connect to the DB9 console port on the unit, and reboot the device, you should see status message as to what is going on. Baud rate is 115,200. If you reboot and see a message "Waiting 2 sec...." you can follow the prompt and abort into a boot monitor. Once there, if you type "setup", you can access the device settings.