Info about new modules

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
Claudio

Info about new modules

Post by Claudio »

Hi,
is it possible to have some info on the new modules you're developing?
That is: is there something after "MOD5441X"?

Thank you,
Claudio
TomNB

Re: Info about new modules

Post by TomNB »

Hello Claudio,

Thank you for asking. We have just introduced the SB800EX, a serial to Ethernet device with some great features:
- 5441x processor, 8MB Flash, 64MB RAM
- Jumper-less configuration for serial ports: RS-232, 422, 485
- Connectors can be specified as DB9 or 5-pin terminal strip
- Optional Wifi
- Optional Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
- microSD flash socket for data logging

From the module and chip solution standpoint the next generation will be ARM based. We are still in development so I cannot provide specific details right now, but we will be starting with the faster M cores.

If you have a moment it would be great to hear about any features or products you are interested in.
Claudio

Post by Claudio »

Thanks for your question Tom.
First of all let me say I am very happy with your products: reliable, powerful, easy to use. Congratulations also to your support team: all interventions have been quick and effective.

I omit further pleasantries and let me go to our needs. Before beginning I must say that our company, invents, develop and manufactures automotive devices.

Recently, using the MOD54417, we developed a communication system. Substantially the MOD54417 is used as a communication device towards CANBUS nodes or serial. The implemented device provides 2 CAN ports, an ISO 9141 port, two serial RS-232, some digital outputs.

Currently the device fully meets our needs but in the future we would like:

- manage communications via CANFD;
- FlexRay;
- LIN;

We all know that NetBurner is oriented to develop (at 90%) interfaces devices ETH / Serial but... if in the future NB wants to look to the automotive world with greater attention those points should be taken into account ...

Thank you,
Claudio
Vernon

Post by Vernon »

ARM based?!

I use the FriendlyARM Mini2440 (ARM 9) bare metal for various projects including my CT Test Set at www.cttestset.com

It would be great if you could port your RTOS and TCP/IP functions as found in the MOD5270 over to it. I would buy at least one. I have a web server for this device but it is rather primitive compared to yours.
gnelson

Post by gnelson »

Any chance that CAN support will be added in the future to the SB800EX?

Gary
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

Vernon: Yes, the RTOS, TCP/IP Stack, Web Server, etc are all being ported to the ARM platform.

Gary: The SB800EX does have CAN capability, but you need to get the CAN specific model: SB800EX-TDTC-IR. The part number configuration TDTC corresponds to:

Input Power 2-pin terminal plug
DB9 supports RS-232/422/485
5-Pin terminal supports CAN bus

There are many configurations we can offer. For example:
- Both ports can be CAN
- each serial port can be DB9 or 5-pin terminal block

I am attaching the current build/option sheet.

The configuration we expect to stock is the SB800EX-TDTC-IR since it is the same configuration as the CB34EX and most customers prefer to run CAN on the terminal strip connector. We should be done with the CAN prototype testing by the end of this month.

The SB800EX offers more resources and higher performance that can replace the SB72EX, SB700EX and CB34EX.

Would you be able to tell me what configuration you would like in terms of serial port connectors and input power connectors?
gnelson

Post by gnelson »

Thanks for the information Tom. I did not see the build/option sheet attachment on your reply. We currently use the CB34EX for several different products. The most popular one is utilizing the DB9 for CAN and the 5 pin for RS-485 Modbus. We have well over 1200+ of those in the field currently. The other 2 products are configured using both ports for RS-485. 1 implements Modbus on both ports and the other implements Profibus on the DB9 and Modbus on the 5 pin. Would be nice to have a wireless version to offer versus the hard wired CB34EX. Thanks for your time and have a great weekend!

Gary
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

Hi Gary,

Sorry about that. Trying the attachment again. Thank you very much for your comments. If you are using the DB9 for CAN, does that mean you are using CANopen?
Attachments
SB800EX-BuildOptions.pdf
(564.83 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
gnelson

Post by gnelson »

Thanks Tom. Yes it is CANopen.
gnelson

Post by gnelson »

So will it be possible to get the following configuration?

SB800EX-JTTWC-IR

And if so when do you expect them to be available?

Also would that configuration be available as part of a development kit?

Thanks for your time.

Gary