NANO ethernet magnetics sensitivity

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
Chris Ruff

NANO ethernet magnetics sensitivity

Post by Chris Ruff »

Does the forum have any experience with remoting the NANO magnetics/ethernet module away from the NANO module through 2 inches of ribbon cable?

Is the NANO sensitive to exactly which magnetics/ethernet jack is being used?

I see here that HALO, Abracon, Bel, Pulse, TE, etc. etc. have magnetics/jacks

Am I correct in assuming that if the schematic matches any of these will work?

Thanks!

Chris
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand
dciliske

Re: NANO ethernet magnetics sensitivity

Post by dciliske »

I haven't done it, but I'd imagine that routing the signal through that length of ribbon cable would be OK. At the point where the signal leaves the PHY chip, it's a differential pair, so while you don't quite get the immunity of a twisted pair, it's still close.

I'm not 100% certain, but I do not believe the NANO cares at all what magnetics are used. They isolate the board from the wire and are designed to work with standard PHYs.

That all said, you will want to pay close attention to any sections in the magnetics' datasheets that may pertain to EMI issues, especially if you're going to putting in a ribbon cable.

-Dan
Dan Ciliske
Project Engineer
Netburner, Inc
Chris Ruff

Post by Chris Ruff »

Thanks Dan

I will let you know how it goes.

Oh, and EMI will be squealing inside a metal box...

Chris
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand
khoney

Post by khoney »

We now use a plug-in daughterboard for our magnetics, positioned next to the mini-PCI pins. We previously used a ribbon cable with a little less than 2 inches and had no problem. Just make sure you don't make the same mistake we did on our first prototype (wiring VCC3V instead of VCC3VE, pin 41).
Chris Ruff

Post by Chris Ruff »

thank you khoney

You wouldn't believe the level of my paranoia designing both NANO and a 5270-200 boards at the same time! I was dreaming about ethernet magnetics-circuit side-component side-ribbon cables-daughter boards- VCC3.3E- VCC3.3. Yeesh!
Chris Ruff

Post by Chris Ruff »

Not a problem-2 inches of ribbon is A-OK. I have a little board for the HALO vertical connector and all works great.

8 serial ports is awesome too.

Chris
pbreed

Post by pbreed »

Having 8 serial ports means your project needs 9 ;-) Yes 8 ports is really useful!
Chris Ruff

Post by Chris Ruff »

Paul

the specific app for the NANO here is in a "concentrator" that lies between an avionics cockpit host "sim" computer and 7 little panels with switches, lights,displays, and each a PIC24F processor. The NANO was designed just for me and this requirement...

You really outdid yourself with the elegance of this little module. It was a pleasure to take your most recent release of code and tools, bend them into my favorite IDE and pound out the code in 16 hours. Talk about "concentrating" effort!

You guys really make networked toys easy and fast to build.

Thanks Paul

PS: UDPterminal RULES!
pbreed

Post by pbreed »

UDP terminal flight sim... I think your talking to x-plane ;-)

Paul