Designing an LED driver/control board

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
dciliske

Designing an LED driver/control board

Post by dciliske »

So, most of you probably know me for my role within Netburner as a software guy. I've been working hard at learning the hardware side for a while now, as I think I've mentioned from time to time. Currently, I'm mostly done with the preliminary design of an LED driver/control board. My intention is to use an SBL2E chip as the core for the board, using the PWM, ADC, and DMA timers to form the core of the control loop for a four channel constant current source. The other goal is to allow the board to dim the LEDs via current modulation, as opposed to the standard PWM method (I'm planning on driving strips of LEDs ~15ft long).

I've finished what I believe is the preliminary design for the board, but I'm not entirely certain I'm not horribly overlooking some things here. Also, some of the design choices with regards to ICs are based on what I have readily available/lying around/what's cheap. My plan is to use this to create automatic, adjustable hall lighting. Each channel is designed to supply a continuous 2.5A, with an expected load of 1.6A. I've also designed the board to run from ~9-27V, with my actual use probably being 12V.

One comment about the schematic, I've left off the sheet containing the SBL2E core section as it is essentially the same as one of the internal designs, and I'm not certain what is available for public consumption at the moment (I wouldn't think there'd be any problem, but I want to confirm first).

If anyone has any comments on the design, I'd love to hear the feedback.

-Dan
Attachments
LED_Controller.pdf
(468.92 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
Dan Ciliske
Project Engineer
Netburner, Inc