Did you 'brick' your MOD5441X or NANO54415? Look here...

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
nicobari

Re: Did you 'brick' your MOD5441X or NANO54415? Look here...

Post by nicobari »

So I bricked a MOD54415 and it boots to alternate boot monitor every time but it lost its mac address. No problem, I go to setup and when I try to save and exit it asks me to enter a MAC address or the device won't work. When I enter the MAC address (usually the barcode number on the MOD54415 module) and press enter nothing happens. I tried this a couple of times but still doesn't work. When I boot up always says checksum. Is it IMPOSSIBLE to fix it now?

Regards,
TM
khoney

Post by khoney »

And I bricked another Nano that the watchdog enabled in the UserConfig. I tried shorting the jumper on the Nano to get into the alternate boot monitor but the watchdog just keeps going off. So here's what I get (about every few seconds):

Boot override jumper installed
Attempting to do alternate boot
Configured IP = 0.0.0.0
Configured Mask = 255.255.255.0
MAC Address= 00:03:f4:06:a3:a3

... ad infinitum.

I was able to unbrick another Nano after messing with it for two hours, but this one is a no go. The other one actually would power up into the alternate boot monitor once I had set it. This one won't. Any ideas?

P.S. - Netburner - I'm still waiting for an answer to why the watchdog is not explicitly disabled as the first order of business in the primary and alternate boot monitors? Preventing the boot monitor from being used by allowing the watchdog to time out sort of negates the purpose of a boot monitor, doesn't it?
rnixon

Post by rnixon »

On my 5270 platform the watchdog is only disabled in the monitor if I enter the setup menu. This makes more sense to me than disabling any time I am in the monitor. For example, say you have an fpga connected to the data bus that somehow misbehaves due to some event and the decompression from flash to ram gets messed up. Now I'm in the monitor, but I don't want to just sit there because a reboot could be successful. I think there are a number of conditions like this. So in my opinion a watchdog isn't a watchdog if it just gives up (without some human intervention like a jumper, switch, command).

Have you tried entering the setup menu to see if that makes a difference? If there isn't enough time to do that then the time duration is too short. If its ok for the watchdog to fail in a system and let the device sit in the monitor until someone comes along, then it seems that setting the max timeout wouldn't cause a problem.
khoney

Post by khoney »

In my case, I always have to take an explicit action to enter the monitor (shift-A). I wasn't aware that there was a way to configure the system to automatically enter the monitor if the watchdog timed out.
khoney

Post by khoney »

OK, still having a problem with the boot monitor continuously resetting. I have no way to recover this module. Netburner, please advise why you boot monitor resets every 5 seconds when (a) the setup menu shows that the watchdog is disabled, and (b) I set to Boot to Monitor.

Every 5 seconds, I get this:

Netburner MCF54415x Alternate Image Monitor V1.00 May 23 2012 13:27:35
Help for help
nb>Boot record is Valid

Boot config valid
nb>Welcome to the Netburner Alternate Boot Monitor Command Program
Starting Monitor...

At the NB prompt after the Help for help line, it waits 5 seconds, then dumps everything from the 'Boot record is Valid' back to the nb> prompt.
rnixon

Post by rnixon »

I'm don't understand your last sentence, but are you able to type "setup" and the nb> and enter the setup menu? Does it still reset while you are in the setup menu?
khoney

Post by khoney »

No matter what I do, 5 seconds after I get the nb prompt, it resets. I can get into the setup menu if I type setup quickly enough, but if I stay there it will reset.

If you look at the text above, what I meant is that the '5 second waiting point' is right after the nb> prompt on the third line. Then all of the text gets redisplayed back to that point.
PaulSteane

Post by PaulSteane »

On my MOD5282 units, I enable the watchdog. So if I want to work at the nb> prompt I have to disable it straight away after a reboot, by typing
setup
w
x
which disables the watchdog and allows use of the commands such as fla.

There's about 6 seconds to do this, which is plenty once you get used to it.
khoney

Post by khoney »

Yes, but as I said in my problem description, the watchdog is disabled. I can see it in the setup menu before it reboots.
roland.ames

Post by roland.ames »

In my experience, the MOD54415 will ignore the monitor settings and does not ever enable the watchdog. I tried using the boot monitor to enable / disable watchdog and then had the application print out the values in the watchdog control registers. I found the watchdog disabled whatever the monitor setting.

I think your board is damaged

I am too busy to find my code for the watchdog registers but here are some notes I made at the time.

Code: Select all

#elif defined(MCF5441X)
// watchdog is disabled out of reset,
// sim2.scm.cwcr has a RO bit, that when set prevents further writes to the reg
// MOD5441X Boot Monitor does nothing to watchdog registers, not even setting RO
// regardless of the NetBurner Config record watchdog enabled flag, the boot monitor will not write to cwcr on startup
// the application has complete control over enable/disable and timeout of watchdog
// recommend setting the RO bit when enabling or disabling watchdog to prevent spurious writes

void ServiceWatchdog( void )
{
    sim2.scm.cwsr = 0x55;
    sim2.scm.cwsr = 0xAA;
}

void DisableWatchdog( void )
{
    unsigned short cwcr = sim2.scm.cwcr;
    iprintf("cwcr = %04X\n", (unsigned int)cwcr );
    cwcr &= 0xFF7F;           // disable watchdog
    sim2.scm.cwcr = cwcr;
}

void EnableWatchdog( void )
{
    unsigned short cwcr = sim2.scm.cwcr;
    iprintf("cwcr = %04X\n", (unsigned int)cwcr );
    cwcr |= 0x00DF;           // enable watchdog with maximum timeout, to reset
    sim2.scm.cwcr = cwcr;
}

#endif
unfortunately i did not note what version of monitor I did these tests with.