NANO54415

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
pbreed

NANO54415

Post by pbreed »

Yesterday I brought up the first two prototypes of the NANO54415
This is a 250Mhz V4 coldfire with 64Mbytes of DDR2 6 A/D, 4+ serial ports, can, i2c, spi, timers etc...
The Hardware supports USB device and USB host, but it may be awhile until we have software support for the USB.

It is un-brickable,by grounding a jumper on the board it boots into the monitor no matter what app is loaded and the
monitor fully supports ipsetup and autoupdate. This monitor jumper allows you to safely set the boot delay to 0

Its tiny and preliminary pricing it should be around $79 in singles with 1K pricing of $69 or less.

By the end of the week I'll know if this board is good to go or we need another board spin.
If the board is fine its probably 8 weeks to beta, another spin would cost 4 to 6 weeks.
Attachments
Picture of the new board...
Picture of the new board...
nano54415_&_EthernetJack_web.jpg (42.68 KiB) Viewed 9745 times
seulater

Re: NANO54415

Post by seulater »

Totally Awesome!!!
you have no idea how long i have waited for NB to make a module just like that!!!!
now i can say goodby forever Rabbit RCM6700!!!!!

Thanks! for the great news!!!
Chris Ruff

Post by Chris Ruff »

Paul:

I forgot if you said whether are you going to build a mother board for it or not. If you are building a m/b can you install a type-A usb host connector on the board if you do (or place a footprint for one)? I will use this board to bring up the USB flash drive stuff.

Chris
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand
seulater

Post by seulater »

Would also like to see a mini usb on there for the serial connection.
I have been using the FT232-RL for a number of years now, best dam USB product around.
no drivers needed what so ever. all Windows OS version recognize it.

DK#: 768-1007-1-nd
Mouser: 895-FT232RL
seulater

Post by seulater »

Paul, would you mind posting the I/O available on the header for this module. I am VERY curious what we have there.
bbracken

Post by bbracken »

I'll assume no ethernet?
pbreed

Post by pbreed »

OK we are working on a real official data sheet.
The part has Ethernet, and ethernet PHY, but no Ethernet jack.
So you need to put the jack on your board.

For testing I built an adapter board that allows me to plug the NANO in and then plug the adapter board into a normal
module slot. (like a Mod-dev70) The NANO connector is P1 in the attached schematic.
The attached schematic was for the first version adapter board and is not up to our release standards.

Right now the device has 8 A/D's showing. We just realized that the A/D's on the MCF5441X can not also be GPIO, so I think we are going to
remove two of the A/D's and add 2 more pins that can be gpio. The current candidates to add are uart 2 CTS allowing 3 uarts with full RTS/CTS hand shaking,
or 6 uarts with just RX and TX. also note that each set of 4 Uart signals can be converted into SPI with one SPI CS, and I also think I2C.

some set of things depending on how you allocate pins:
3 Full hand shaking Uarts.
6 No hand shaking uarts.
4 I2C.
4SPI.
etc....

It will be a week or so til we give you the final pinout where all the details on what pins can be mapped to what are available.
Based on one of the comments on this post I think the final version of the Adapter board will have a USB connector.

Ill post a picture of the board plugged into the adaptor borad some time in the next 24 hrs.
Attachments
NANO54415ADAPTR1P0.PDF
Schematic and PCB file for NANO adaptor. Schematic is on page 2
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 534 times
pbreed

Post by pbreed »

Here is a picture of the NANO board plugging into the adapter board.
Chris is working on all the marketing materials and has a real clean professional setup to take picture.
He is aslo editing out the background for use in ad's brochures etc.. so these picture almost don't look
real. They are in fact picture of real working hardware ;-)

Paul
Attachments
The NANO plugging into dev board.
The NANO plugging into dev board.
nano-devboard-web.jpg (60.66 KiB) Viewed 9722 times
seulater

Post by seulater »

Thanks for the skiz, though how really important is all that serial I/O ?
With that kind of processor power, it would be great to be able to map in peripheral ic's.
I figured it would be better to have at least 8-bit data bus & a few Address lines, CS, RD & WR lines.
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

Thanks for the info Paul.

I was hoping I could use this with my current design (with PCB changes of course) but the lack of a databus means I am stuck with using the MOD5234 for now.

I have an LCD interface that is 16 bit parallel bus driven and although I have looked at serial options (such as the one Tod has used) that would mean a total redesign of my hardware, whereas I could potentially use a carrier board to use this new device as a direct drop in replacment for my MOD5234 but no databus means no can do.

Are you planning on producing a design based on the MOD5234 size board? A restring of the existing PCB to suit different IO mapping wouldn't be too serious in that situation.

Cheers
Dave...