Is it safe to install other Eclipse plugins?

Topics for the Eclipse Environment
The Altruist

Is it safe to install other Eclipse plugins?

Post by The Altruist »

Since NBEclipse is based on Eclipse, it make sense that we could install Eclipse plugins. However, I'm worried about breaking things. What has everyone else's experience been?
tod

Re: Is it safe to install other Eclipse plugins?

Post by tod »

YES. I've used the install provided by NB with additional plug-ins with no major problems but the automated way of installing/updating plug-ins isn't supported and every time you download a new NNDK you have to reinstall your plug-ins.

A couple of releases back NetBurner I started using the Galileo for C++ Developers release of Eclipse and then installed the NB plug-ins into that by dragging and dropping. (There are three plug-ins and a folder that I move over, there is nothing in the Features folder to move) This has been working flawlessly for me. I can use all the automated update tool under the help menu to keep everything current. I use subclipse (for integrated SVN support) and an HTML and JavaScript plug-in editor.

One thing to note is that using the automated update tool will NOT update you to the latest NNDK or the latest NNDK Eclipse plug-ins.
The Altruist

Post by The Altruist »

Where do I find those plugins? I've found the complete download executable on the support site. Are they packaged inside?
tod

Post by tod »

Yes, the only way I know to get them is to run the executable. Then look in
C:\nburn\eclipse\plugins

Grab the folder named nbeclipse.doc_2.3.7 and the three files whose names start with
nbeclipse.

and drag a copy of them to the Galileo plug-in folder, which on my system looks like this
C:\Program Files\eclipse_galileo\eclipse\plugins

That's all I had to do. I did this first before I installed any additional Eclipse plug-ins and I tested. Then I backed up that folder and started adding additional plug ins.
The Altruist

Post by The Altruist »

I appreciate it. Thanks!