VLANs and IPv6

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
mmccarthy

VLANs and IPv6

Post by mmccarthy »

:?: Anyone know if/when Netburner will support VLAN tagging and IPv6? We have a customer asking for both.

Thanks,
Mike
pbreed

Re: VLANs and IPv6

Post by pbreed »

Working on IPV6 now....
Actually in the middle of making Neighbor Discovery work I expect a beta in Q3/Q4....

They have put an IPV6 lock on my door and are sliding pizza under the door till I can program my escape ;-)

VLAN, IPV4 vlan, or IPV6 vlan?
mmccarthy

Post by mmccarthy »

Well we finally have IPv6. :D Thanks much as we will be integrating it to our system soon.
Now, what about Ethernet VLAN tagging? We could really use it as we would like to be able to give the NetBurner 2 different IP addresses with a different VLAN ID on each. One would be for our internal chassis control plane and the other would be standard management traffic like SNMP and WEB pages. All of this would be filtered by a small 1GB VLAN aware switch in front of the NetBurner.
dciliske

Post by dciliske »

Ok, I'll be honest: you're the only person asking for this right now. I'd like to get VLAN support added for you, but it's just not in the schedule at the moment. It's fairly straightforward for IPv4, but gets complicated pretty quick for IPv6. As it stands right now, VLAN support would end up being either a day where literally everything else had been finished (aka, a long time from now) or me getting bored on a weekend.

I understand the use case where there's a middle to large corporate network, but that doesn't match much of our installed base (that I'm aware of). If you want present a better case that's more aligned to smaller installations I'm all ears.

-Dan
Dan Ciliske
Project Engineer
Netburner, Inc
mmccarthy

Post by mmccarthy »

All we need is Layer 2 VLAN tagging which is protocol independent and should be very simple to implement. The idea is to isolate our internal chassis Ethernet control plane from the outside world using a small layer 2 switch with port based VLAN's. The NetBurner only has one physical port so it is set up with two different "interfaces" over that port. One is for user traffic and the other for control plane. The switch uses VLAN tags to direct the frames to the appropriate ports and blocks access between them.

The Ethernet control plane is something new we are developing. With only user traffic on the NetBurner, our current switch will provide all the VLAN support our customers need. But now with two different streams being sent out of the NetBurner, the layer 2 switch is incapable of differentiating them without a tag already in place.

:idea: I am looking into doing our own modifications if it is unlikely that you can provide this in the near term. I might need to contact you for some hints. I hate taking third party software and modifying it because of the problems involved with updating to later revisions...
gdolson

Post by gdolson »

Are there any updates about the implementation of VLAN tags?