SB700EX and GPIO

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
saiteja.m

SB700EX and GPIO

Post by saiteja.m »

Hii ,

I am in need of GPIO pins for toggling in SB700EX board, i am unable to find schematics for that board. Is there any GPIO pins available in J3 header. Please help me with the schematics

Thanks,
Sai Teja
TomNB

Re: SB700EX and GPIO

Post by TomNB »

Hello,

As a serial to Ethernet device with two DB9 connectors, the SB700EX does not have any GPIO. Also note all signals are RS-232 level, which probably would not work as GPIO either.

Any of our devices can operate as a serial to Ethernet device, including the core modules. We also have specific products that are serial to Ethernet such as the SB70LC and Nano54415.

Another option that can adapt to any configuration you need is based on the PK70EX. You can get a blade board with any mix of serial and GPIO, as well as analog to digital, digital to analog, or any other circuitry you would like for you application.

How many GPIO do you need?

What are the electrical characteristics, including voltage levels and current drive?

You can also choose between a standard or OEM product. OEM might make sense for higher volumes to reduce cost. How many units per year do you estimate to use?
saiteja.m

Post by saiteja.m »

Hii TomNB,

Thanks for your reply.

Actually in my project i require two serial ports and 1 or 2 GPIO. I'm not using serial port signals as GPIO. But I found a header(J3) inside the SB700EX, so i'm pretty sure that there will be a provision of GPIO in this header(J3). I had already purchased SB700EX development kit from store, so for this GPIO support if you can provide with the schematics, it will help me a lot.

The voltage level of the GPIO required is 3.3V

Thanks,
Sai Teja
pbreed

Post by pbreed »

J3 is the Factory test BDM connector....
It has the BDM signals in it see freescale defintion of the BDM in the cpu docs...

Your best bet for GPIO if you must use an SB700EX is
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9419

You should be able to get a couple of GPIO off of that....

Do you need in's or outs...
saiteja.m

Post by saiteja.m »

Hi TomNB/pbreed,

Thanks for your replies.

It appears that I can use GPIOs with RS232 levels also. So I would like to explore using Port 1 signals such as DTR, DSR, CD, RI, CTS, RTS (as GP input/outputs in the I/O direction supported by transceiver and original functionality ignored by serial port driver software), while I use the TXD and RXD pins for connection with another serial device which ignores all the above mentioned signals. I could not get the LVTTL side connections of RS232 transceiver with main processor-MCF5270 from the document "MCF5271EC: MCF5271 Integrated Microprocessor Hardware Specification ", particularly for CD, RI, DTR and DSR signals.

Is it possible to obtain a portion of SB700EX schematic that shows RS232 transceiver section of Port1 and the LVTTL side connections with MCF5270?

Thanks,
Sai Teja
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

Hello Sai Teja,

We can not post confidential/copyrighted information such as NetBurner schematics and NetBurner system source code on a public forum. People posting their own source code is fine. As Paul suggested, if you can please use your account at http://support.netburner.com they can help you with any information you require.

Alternatively, if you want to look in the MCF5270/71 Freescale manual, they do describe what you can do with the UART0 and UART1 signals. I do not have the low level knowledge to provide an answer to your question, but it may be something that you are familiar with. In general, I think that when you enable a UART, some pins are assigned by default. You then would need to configure the ones you need as GPIO, if the architecture allows it.

Best regards,

Tom