NANO54415

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
pbreed

Re: NANO54415

Post by pbreed »

There is a version of this MCOD54415 coming that looks like our normal module with a Data bus.
Both the nano module and the MOD54415 prototypes landed on my desk this week and in bringing them up
I won one and lost one. After some early feedback we are upping the MOD54415 flash size from 8Mbytes to 32M Bytes.
In doing this I muffed the conversion from TSSOP to BGA flash had a missing connection on an inner ball.
This error not something that can be reworked and the boards for the latest attempt at getting this module
exactly right went back out for Fab this week.

It will cost more than the low cost module that kicked off this thread.
It will be similar in price to the MOD5234, maybe a tiny bit more or less, I still don't have final pricing on it yet.
64Mbytes DDR2, 32Mbyte flash, un-brickable etc...

We are also going to explore a Linux release for this bigger module, alas running modern Linux on a 250Mhz
part seems glacially slow compared to the normal NNDK stuff.
fanat9

Post by fanat9 »

My wish list for tiny module will include 2xserial, 1xi2c, 1xspi and mcPWM!!! Without mcPWM will be forced to stay with MOD5234.

Linux is luxury, not really need it.
MMU - very nice! Dynamic memory allocation can make code much more flexible.
tod

Post by tod »

I'm not that knowledgeable about this stuff but won't the MMU require some kind of OS support to work? I would suspect that was one large motivation for trying to port a linux kernel. Will it be using something like uC/OS-MMU instead?
fanat9

Post by fanat9 »

Good point.
As I understand, MMU does most of the job for you, but _some_ support from OS definitely required.

Just googled it for a 5 minutes - looks like original uCOS-II have MMU modules. Not sure how much NNDK different from original uCOS at this point, if it available for free and how much work it will take...
mmk-tsm

Post by mmk-tsm »

Will or would it be possible to make the adapter board (2 x 50 pin connector part) compatible, or nearly pin compatible with the MOD5270 module?
If you are doing a carrier board, you really should put an SD card connector on there, at front, same face as RJ45, - everyone needs sD dont they?
And an RTC.
fanat9

Post by fanat9 »

MMK - it will have SD on board. Check this post: http://forum.embeddedethernet.com/viewt ... f=5&t=1266
fanat9

Post by fanat9 »

Paul, any news related to MOD54415 which you can share with us?
pbreed

Post by pbreed »

The MOD54415 is now in production for the first batch.

The NANO production boards have been ordered, but I still need to qualify 2 units before the first production gets turned on.
(The only change from working NANO prototypes is to vote two A/D channels off of the connector and vote two GPIO pins on to the connector.)

I/we did not realize that the MCF54415 does not let you use the A/D pins for GPIO, so we thought that since the NANO is limited to 52 total pins
it was more important to have more GPIO than A/D. So it has 6 A/D's not 8. One of the GPIO pins we added allows the third serial port
to have RTS allowing three RS-485 channels. (Up to 6 serial ports without hand shaking!)

Current Due dates:
2 Proto Nanos in final form April 26th. Production 4 to 6 weeks later.
100 MOD54415 modules due May 9th.

These are the nominal due dates at Netburner. These are not the ship to customer dates,
this will be from 0 to 2 weeks later.

The webpages and pre-order store stuff for these will be up on the web site this week.

Paul
seulater

Post by seulater »

(The only change from working NANO prototypes is to vote two A/D channels off of the connector and vote two GPIO pins on to the connector.)
I vote for GPIO.
pbreed

Post by pbreed »

The new moduels are now up on the web site..

http://www.netburner.com/products/core_ ... 54415.html

and

http://www.netburner.com/products/core_ ... 54415.html

I'm currently working on a new carrier board for the NANO the adaptor board shown in the pictures is proving to be expensive to
build as the pins need to be hand soldered. We hope to offer a NANO dev kit for low cost.

Paul